Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Kudret Özersay announced a series of new measures on Sunday as part of the government’s efforts to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
Speaking to reporters following a three-hour long meeting, Özersay said that everyone must act responsibly to reduce the risk of spreading the virus.
He added that the government was implementing measures step by step in line with the changing conditions in the country.
Özersay also did not rule out the possibility of imposing a nation-wide curfew if the conditions did not change.
Pointing out that there were currently six confirmed cases in the TRNC, Özersay said that four of the patients were German nationals while the other two were TRNC citizens.
He added that all six patients were responding well to treatment.
Özersay also said that the crowds of shoppers at supermarkets had subsided as conditions were normalizing.
He pointed out that the police had also intervened regarding a number of establishments which violated the lock down.
“It is everyone’s civic duty to report such violations,” he added.
The TRNC Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister also said that the entry ban of foreign nationals into the country until March 27, even with legal permits, had been broadened to include 71 countries.
He also called on all TRNC citizens living or studying in the UK not return to the country unless absolutely necessary.
Özersay announced that the government had also decided to establish a coordination council to deal with needs of tourist and staff at the two hotels currently under quarantine.
He added that a decision had also been taken to shut sections at supermarkets which sell hot and pre-cooked food.
Özersay said that the Council of Ministers had also decided to set up an observation facility to detain those who fail to abide by the 14-day isolation requirement.
He also provided clarification on imported goods that arrive through the Gazimağusa and Girne ports.
“With a view to continuing imports to our country and providing supplies to markets, trucks containing imported goods from abroad will remain at Gazimağusa and Girne ports and their containers will be towed and directed to inland depots,” he said.